Monday, September 6, 2010

Say Thank You



Like many of you, last Friday night meant the first high school football game of the season. We were thrilled to discover a tiny cool front had made its way to our hometown which translated into a much welcomed pleasant evening. Usually, the first game of the year involves lots of sweating from both players and fans, so this was a very nice change for us southerners.

Another change we noticed this season is our grandkids are older and no longer trample on our feet and sit in our laps while we weave and bob to catch a few of the football plays. Now, they run up and get money for water or popcorn (I know, we're mean grandparents and refuse to support the candy addiction in our country), then they go back down to play with friends. We actually get to watch the game in peace (except for my constant worry that they have been hurt or lost).


As we watched the game, I remembered a time when our grandchildren were younger. We had given John Luke, the oldest and eight at the time, money for a coke along with the proverbial instructions on getting change and giving it back to us. Off he went. When he returned, he had one hand behind his back and no change. "Two-mama, I bought you something," he said smiling sweetly. Then, from behind his back, a glorious foam rendition of a green hand pointing one finger in the air came bouncing in front of my face. Of course, I praised him for such a lovely purchase and I held it high in the air. Pleased with himself, he ran off to play with friends.


Later, he returned and sat down beside me. He smiled up at me and said, "Do you know why I bought you that prize?" "Why?" I responded. He said, "Because you're always buying things for me and I wanted you to have something."


Doesn't it feel great to feel appreciated? I was totally willing to forget that John Luke had used my money to buy a large green finger because, in his way, John Luke was showing value and appreciation to me.


One of the surest ways to keep a relationship rock solid and positive is to show appreciation. Saying thank you is one of our earliest learned tasks. Parents are filled with pride the first time a thank you is uttered from the lips of their toddlers. As a child gets older whether or not they say thank you appropriately is soon the dividing line between a child who is well disciplined and one who is not. But sometimes, as adults, we forget this most basic nod of appreciation.


If surveyed, most people would readily admit that a hug, a simple note, or a verbal "thank you" are among the most meaningful of gifts, because those are the ones from the heart. John Luke's gift of a green finger took on so much more value once the words from his heart were added. What I love is that he looked for a way to say "thank you" to me.


Do you ever wonder how to thank God? I hope you do. Just as John Luke wanted to give back to me, we should want to give back to God. Psalm 116:12 puts it this way in The Message:


"What can I give back to God for the blessings he's poured out on me? I'll lift high the cup of salvation—a toast to God! I'll pray in the name of God; I'll complete what I promised God I'd do, and I'll do it together with his people…"


Wow, that's really pretty simple--just complete what I promised God I'd do and do it with His people.


Look at your life and see if you're giving God all you promised Him on the day He became Lord of your life. If you are committed to striving every day to do just that, I promise God is waving a big, foam number one just for you and cheering you on.


Have a great day!


Hugs,


Chrys

No comments:

Post a Comment