Sunday, March 7, 2010

God and Today’s World



The question for sociologists today is whether or not all this new technology is making us more connected or less connected. Personally, I can make a case either way. While my husband and I spent a few months overseas this past fall, we lived for nighttime when we could Skype our grandkids. If you have never used Skype (sounds like a big monkey, doesn't it?), it's something right out of the future world we might have seen or read about as children. It's the latest technology that allows you to speak and SEE the person you are talking to. I know, for us boomers this is future-world stuff for sure! For you young ones, it's a way of life. Anyway, it works through a video camera that is either pre-installed in or added to your computer so it's really simple. In fact, I'm wondering what took them so long to figure this out! It's the best! Our grandchildren can now tell us stories of their day and we get to see the expressions on their faces, ask them to turn a cartwheel and then LOOK at report cards. It's just like we're sitting in the room with them. (The bonus: you can turn it off when the kids get a little wild. Just joking! We would never do that!)


But, here's the other side of the argument. I Skyped (now it sounds like something sinister—oh well) my grandkids who live out of town the other day and their dad answered my call. I talked to him for about five minutes when I noticed him texting at the same time. He smiled and put his attention back on me and said, "That was Maddox. (You can see our little cutie in the photo above.) He wants me to get him some milk." Of course I said, "Where is he?" The shocking reply was, "In his bedroom." This might be a case against technology. On so many levels, this just isn't right. Yes, I have been to their house on many occasions and, it's true, Maddox's bedroom is up the stairs, but, good grief, whatever happened to walking down the stairs and asking your dad for a glass of milk!!! Okay, it's true confession time. I have been known to call my husband's cell phone when we are on opposite sides of our house when I was TOTALLY desperate for a quick answer to something. Only on rare occasions, mind you. J


So, I've tried to analyze this and not blow the whole thing out of proportion as I don't want to stop the wheels of progress. I remember moving into a new house when I was in junior high that had a new invention called an intercom system. Oh, how spoiled we would become! No more walking from one room to the next just to talk to someone. Now, we could just push a button and tell our brothers to come clean their room up or ask our sister if we could borrow her blue sweater or see if mom had supper almost ready. New technology! What would become of us? I remember my parents' warnings to not play with the intercom system, like it might self-destruct if it heard us acting silly instead of being serious with it.


I guess with each new invention, our social norms are threatened and we are challenged to adjust to a new kind of normal. Whether it's an intercom system, a television set, a computer, or an IPhone, it's up to us as humans to control our time and its usage. Are we better off with Skype and IPhones? It depends. Have they inhibited our human connection or enhanced it? It depends. Remember behind every piece of technology is a voice and that voice is YOU. Texting a scripture to your teenage may make a difference in his or her day. Using search engines like Google to find scriptures and commentaries on Biblical thoughts can bring incredible depth to your personal Bible study. Downloading Christian music with Godly messages on your IPOD may be just the voice you need in your ear when facing a difficult day.


God isn't surprised when a new device is on the
market. In fact, our God, who sees all and knows all, is aware of the next new thing even before Bill Gates is. What makes Him rejoice and the angels sing is when we use everything at our disposal to bring Him glory. In the Message, Hebrews 13:16 says "Make sure you don't take things for granted and go slack in working for the common good; share what you have with others. God takes particular pleasure in acts of worship—a different kind of "sacrifice"—that place in kitchens and workplaces and on the streets."


God rejoices when communication of all kinds includes Him and His message. Take a few minutes this week to put one of your many modern devices to Godly use. Never doubt that is God right here with us in the 21st century.


Hugs, Chrys

No comments:

Post a Comment