Monday, March 15, 2010

Unexpected Challenges

Today's blog will be short and sweet, so all you non-readers will get a break. Besides being out of town last week, I have my three out-of-town precious grandchildren in for this whole week. I'll just confess right up front that I intend to play some this week. So, much of my work just might have to slide a few days. I hope you will understand.

Last week I attended a speaker's seminar in Portland, Oregon. The seminar founder and facilitator is Carol Kent. She is an amazing woman who loves the Lord and loves helping women in all types of ministries be better equipped to share God's word. She will also be our keynote speaker at this year's Mom Thing Conference in August. Let me just say, YOU DO NOT WANT TO MISS THIS! She is over the top fabulous. When you get a chance, Google her and you will get a tiny bit of Carol's story, plus you'll see her dynamic personality jump off the computer screen right into your living room. Well, not really. I haven't discovered some new technology where people's personalities ACTUALLY jump into your house; I'm just super impressed with Carol and want you get the picture. Check her out. If you feel called to work on your speaking ministry, this is the perfect event for you. It's called Speak Up with Confidence. Trust me when I tell you, "shy beyond your wildest dreams" does not come close to describing my true personality. But, with God's constant help and reassurance, I have learned to be confident in Him. Take a look at Speak Up with Confidence—it's awesome!

We left Portland at 6:00 AM on Saturday, which means we had to be at the airport at 5:00 AM, which means we had to get up at 4:00 AM…so it was a long day of flying. That was expected. We knew we would have to pay $25.00 per bag as the new "we're not very accommodating" airplane guidelines dictate. That was expected. What was unexpected was an extra charge of $200.00 when one of our bags was WAY overweight. And what was unexpected was our now super expensive luggage did not make it on our plane. Apparently for the extra money, our luggage got to pick a later flight. Perhaps it wanted to sleep in. J Apparently, even with the equivalent of buying our luggage its own ticket, the airlines could get it on the plane we were flying on.

Expected, expected, unexpected. Expected, expected, unexpected. Expected, expected, Unexpected! Does that describe your life? It does mine. Here's some ancient advice that holds true today:

"If I were in your shoes, I'd go straight to God, I'd throw myself on the mercy of God. After all, he's famous for great and unexpected acts; there's no end to his surprises. He gives rain, for instance, across the wide earth, sends water to irrigate the fields. He raises up the down-and-out, gives firm footing to those sinking in grief. He aborts the schemes of conniving crooks, so that none of their plots come to term. He catches the know-it-alls in their conspiracies— all that intricate intrigue swept out with the trash! Suddenly they're disoriented, plunged into darkness; they can't see to put one foot in front of the other. But the downtrodden are saved by God, saved from the murderous plots, saved from the iron fist. And so the poor continue to hope, while injustice is bound and gagged."

That was found in Job 5. Poor Job certainly faced the unexpected and his unexpected events make my lost luggage seem like a day at Disneyworld.

As a busy mom, I know you're days are filled with the unexpected. Perhaps your child is sick and you desperately needed to go to work today. Perhaps the washing machine broke or the commode is stopped up. Perhaps the car wouldn't start this morning and there's no money to get is fixed.

Take the advice Job was given, GO STRAIGHT TO GOD. He's famous for great and unexpected acts of kindness and mercy.

I hope you have a very "expected" week, with no surprises except those God sends your way.

Hugs, Chrys

No comments:

Post a Comment