Monday, May 3, 2010

Listen Up!

Mollie was use to repeating almost everything she said. Three years of speech therapy hadn't taken away the impediment the seven-year-old struggled to correct. Still she was a confident little girl and talking to strangers never bothered her. It was as if she felt it was their problem for not understanding her. One day she was out walking in her neighborhood with her mother when they came to a house where the owner was working in her garden. "It's a beautiful day for a walk," the woman commented as Mollie walked by. That was all the encouragement the little girl needed to stop and visit for a minute.

Soon, the woman ended the conversation with another comment about what a great day it was for a walk. Mollie's eyes brightened as she said, "Do you want to go with us?" "Thank you for asking," the woman replied, "but I have to keep working. Please, ask me again." To that, Mollie responded with, "Do you want to go with us?" Again the woman said, "I can't today, but please ask me again." Very politely and a little slower and a lot louder Mollie said once again, "Do you want to go with us?" Smiling, Mollie's mother jumped in this time so the exchange between the woman and the little girl could end. "Sweetheart," she said, "She doesn't mean to ask her now, but to ask her on another day and she might be able go with us."

I love this story told to me by a good friend about her precious daughter. It's a beautiful story of childish innocence and the value of really listening. Our lives are so busy; it seems we don't take the time to really listen to the people who really matter to us. More times than I want to admit, I have to ask someone (usually a grandchild) to repeat something, not because I couldn't understand them, but because I didn't listen the first time. Proverbs warns us in chapter 18 verse 13 that anyone who answers without listening is foolish and insulting. I can see some of you raising your eyebrows at this. Who wants to appear foolish and insulting? None of us. But, many times I've given the "uh-huh" to my husband or kids without really knowing what I was saying "uh-huh" to.

Let's all concentrate this week on being better listeners to our husbands, children, co-workers, and friends. And while we're at it, let's REALLY listen to God. We don't want to be guilty of answering His questions without really knowing what He's asking of us, do we? After all, you can be sure God always listens to you and never needs you to repeat it. He gets it the first time.

Have a great week of "listening."

Hugs, Chrys

No comments:

Post a Comment