Monday, May 31, 2010

Slow Down

Like many of you, May was full for me! I've attended graduation ceremonies, hosted end of the year parties, clapped at award's days, bought new ferns to freshen up the porch, dug out the supply of sun screen to check the expiration dates, and the list goes on and on, doesn't it? But, today is Memorial Day and the somewhat official beginning of summer.

      On a business trip to Washington D.C. one spring, I was surprised to see that the street lights have a countdown feature to let you know how much time you have to walk across the street. So, if you come upon a green walking light, you can judge whether or not you can make it across before it turns red. Here is the phenomenon we discovered about ourselves. No matter how much time we had on the countdown clock, we would try to beat it and get across the street. Whether we had 4 seconds or 40 seconds, we were determined to get across the street. Do you feel like your life is like that? Do you feel like you've got seconds to cross every street in your life?

     When I was a teenager, I loved Simon and Garfunkel. They sang those cool songs with cool words that made you think about life. One of those songs had these words, "Slow down, you move too fast. You got to make the morning last." You may not be as old as I am and have never heard this song, but you still get the message. It would probably benefit us all to have that song on our iPod to remind us that we're trying too hard to beat the clock to cross the street.

Here's what I love about summer-- we do get to slow down even if it's just a little. If you have kids in school, the homework hassles and nightly rituals of school preparation are over for a while. If you're a grandma, you may get to schedule more time talking to your grandkids and less time watching them at an extracurricular activity. The longer days and warm temperatures give us such a great environment for slowing down and just enjoying life. Here's another famous quote you might remember, "Come to me all who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest." That's from someone else very popular, Jesus.

     As a former teacher, I still relate to life in semesters and school years. Summer will always be more significant than New Year's in terms of renewal and new beginnings for me. This past school year, I mean the months from August to May, may have been a struggle for you. For those of you with kids, perhaps grades didn't work out like you wanted or there's a bully you can't get away from or the teacher didn't like your child. For those of us without kids in school, perhaps you are just having a hard time at work or you've had some illness or a parent who is struggling. Whatever you faced during this past school year, summer will allow you some time to rest from it, even if it's just for a week or even if it's just one night as you sit outside and look at the stars.  So, relax, slow down, and give your burdens to God. Just let the seconds tick away and don't rush to cross the street. Trust me; the other side will still be there no matter how long you wait. 

I hope you have a relaxing Memorial Day. Remember our troops serving today and keep them in your prayers.

Continue to relax and enjoy the summer.

 Hugs,

 Chrys

 Here's a bonus: The words to the song. Yes, it really does say groovy. Enjoy!

Slow down, you move too fast
You got to make the morning last
Just kicking down the cobblestones
Looking for fun and feeling groovy
Ba da da da da da da, feeling groovy

Hello lamppost, what'cha knowing
I've come to watch your flowers growin'
Ain't cha got no rhymes for me?
Doo-it in doo doo, feeling groovy
Ba da da da da da da, feeling groovy

I got no deeds to do
No promises to keep
I'm dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep
Let the morning time drop all its petals on me
Life I love you, all is groovy
 

1 comment: